FACT SHEET ON THE IoWIPE
WHAT IS THE IoWIPE 5 Pack?
Five 7” x 7” black sponge cloths with a soft moist feel. They are the next generation of skin and hard surfaces sanitizers because it has a broader and more powerful biocidal effectiveness against ALL micro-organisms, as compared to other sanitizing wipes, lotions or sprays.
WHY WAS IT DEVELOPED?
Current alcohol and quaternary amine-derived wipers are not sufficiently germicidal, especially against resistant bacteria, many viruses and all spores. A better product was needed.
WHAT IS ITS COMPOSITION?
A durable, water absorbing soft, biocompatible sponge chemically related to carbohydrates. It is specially combined (not impregnated) with iodine, therefore, the iodine will not wash out when moistened with water. Being moist is necessary to maintain its effectiveness to transfer the iodine to a broad surface or hands.
Only a few parts per million of iodine is necessary to kill most germs. Iodine products available in the drugstore may contain up to 20,000 parts per million of iodine. The excess iodine is not required to be germicidal, and may cause burning, staining and odor. IoWipe is a new way to control delivery of iodine to avoid these disadvantages. The moist IoWipe leaves no residue, and instead control releases the iodine in 2-3 parts per million continuously, and only in the presence of micro-organisms. It will not release the iodine if no organic matter is present, thus increasing its longevity, and decreasing the cost to the consumer.
WHAT ARE THE DEFICIENCES OF CURRENT WIPES
Current lotions like Purell as well as wet wipes are mostly based on alcohol or quaternary amines and are meant to function only as disinfectants. However, iodine kills germs with small amounts in 3 categories: antiseptics to prevent infection, disinfectants which kill germs and as a sterilant to sanitize inanimate surfaces.
The concentration of 60-70% alcohol in hand lotions is critical, as more than 70% or less than 60% reduces the effectiveness of alcohol. In theory, 70% alcohol should reduce bacteria count by 90% when in contact with the skin. However, because of alcohol’s quick evaporation it’s concentration ,so critical to its effectiveness, is seriously reduced. Tests have shown that in practice, a thoroughly wet alcohol applicator swab only reduces the general bacterial count by 70%, leaving many resistant bacteria and viruses still active. Also, alcohol does not treat many types of viruses and has little or no effect on spores. Alcohol kills by denaturing or drying out microorganisms. However, it also dries out the skin, possibly producing cracking and vulnerability to infection. Tests have shown that skin that has been frequently exposed to alcohol becomes more susceptible to infection, as the skin’s natural barrier to infection is compromised. Most important, alcohol, after evaporation produces no germ fighting residue to resist future infection while the use of IoWipe results in an inhibiting environment to germs.
Quaternary amine or benzalkonium chloride solutions impregnated into multi wipe delivery packs in products such as SaniHands, Clorox, Wet Ones and towelettes are considered to be low level antimicrobials by the CDC and cannot therefore be reliable biocides to treat resistant bacteria.
WHY IS IoWIPE SUPERIOR TO OTHER WIPES?
- Powerfully Effective. Performs all antimicrobial functions of being antiseptic, disinfecting as well as a sterilant. Iodine has the broadest spectrum of antimicrobial effectiveness as compared to Purell’s alcohol based lotion as well as Clorox type wipers, killing bacteria, MRSA, viruses, yeast, fungi, spores and protozoan parasites.
- Self-sterilizing. In or out of its pouch, its iodine content continues to kill any micro-organisms picked up by the wipe, maintaining its germ free and sanitizing properties for its next use.
- Fast Acting. At least twice as fast as alcohol in killing micro-organisms. both on the skin and hard surfaces.
- Protective Presence. Leaves behind a minute amount of iodine which acts as a barrier on the skin or hard surface, discouraging re-infection or bacterial growth.
- Low Maintenance. Simply rinse with cool water to remove any surface debris and squeeze out to return to its original damp softness
- Economical. It’s reusable, and therefore more economical on a cost per use basis than single use throw away wipes. It is space-saving, eliminating the need to purchase or store wiper canisters, pump bottles, wall dispensers, and wiper packets, etc.
- Inspires Confidence. The user will know when its antimicrobial effectiveness is dissipated as its color turns from black to grey/white as its iodine content is depleted. Replacement is made when more than 50% of the wipe’s surface has changed color. The longevity of the wipes’ effectiveness depends on frequency of use, number of users, and the amount of germ exposure.
- It’s GREEN. This product is guaranteed to last at least 1 month when used as directed before its effectiveness dissipates, and unlike single use wipes, is not discarded after one use. This product also dramatically eliminates the waste produced by the disposal of used wipes, wiper canisters, wrappers, dispensers, spray bottles, towelettes, etc. It may be shared in an office by multiple users, eliminating the need for numerous types of sanitizing dispensers.
- Convenience. Carried or stored in a re-sealable moisture retaining plastic pouch which can be kept in handbag or pocket for handy accessibility.
- Cosmetic Skin Treatment. Soft with a pleasing texture thus allowing for possible use in sanitizing the face or eyelids to reduce possible adverse effects caused by the presence of certain bacteria.
SIMPLE USE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Use only on visibly clean surfaces. IoWipe is not meant to remove obvious debris. It is used to disinfect skin, hard surfaces, or as a sanitizing wrap.
- Contact the surface using gentle pressure with a usual wiping motion – 3 swipes on hard surfaces is optimal.
- Contact time should be at least 10 seconds. The surface will be dampened by the contained water/iodine mix but will soon feel dry.
- Store in provided re-sealable plastic bag.
Note: If the wipe begins to feel slightly dry or stiffens due to being stored outside its storage bag, simply dampen with a little water and gently squeeze to distribute the water throughout the wipe and replace in re-sealable storage bag. IoWipe should always be in a moist but not soaked. To remove excess water simply squeeze out till damp.
Iodine sensitivity and related allergic reactions are uncommon, as iodine is already utilized by the body and necessary for health. However, in hypersensitive people, exposure to iodine may cause redness when applied to the skin. If so, discontinue use and, if desired apply corticosteroid cream to help relieve the symptoms of an iodine hypersensitivity.
If you should experience a sensitivity to the product, either gift it to another, or return for a full refund.
TYPICAL DISINFECTING APPLICATIONS
- Personal Applications: routine disinfection kills germs on the hands or cell phones, thus preventing the spread of infection. Antimicrobial face and eyelid wiping to treat bacteria based skin and eyelid conditions. Sanitizing cuts and abrasions.
- Baby care: babies’ and children’s hands and faces, dropped toys, and general germ control for young or compromised immune systems.
- Home Applications: kitchen and bathroom surfaces, door knobs and handles (refrigerator, cabinets), tables, chairs arm rests.
- Automobiles: Door handles, steering wheel, shift knob, radio and dashboard.
- Public surfaces: bathroom door handles and knobs, handrails and banisters, gym and locker room handles, shopping cart handles etc. Spas, nail salons, tattoo parlors, and airplane cabin wipe down.
- Alternatively, the wipe may be used to grasp and turn handles and knobs as the wipe has good surface traction.
- Business Applications: telephones/cell phones and their mouthpieces, computer keyboards and mice, printers, pens and desk surfaces.
- Restaurants: utensils, table and counter-tops.
- Health care facilities: doctors’ and dentists’ offices and hospitals, dialysis centers, acupuncture clinics, chiropractor offices and used otherwise to wipe down of patient touched surfaces and instruments.